One of my favorite Easter treats are Cadbury Creme Eggs. I look forward to them appearing on store shelves a month or so before Easter each year. It occurred to me as I gobbled one up last week that perhaps that yummy chocolaty, creamy taste could somehow be transformed into a cocktail. Thus this delicious Easter Cadbury Creme Egg Martini recipe was born!
My first attempt was to infuse vodka with those little chocolate nuggets. I have infused vodka often with great success…pears, figs, vanilla beans and even allspice. Yummy concoctions all. The creme eggs however were a colossal failure. Cloudy sludge filled liquid. Not fit for human consumption. Plan B was far more successful…the flavors of the chocolate treat deconstructed and reassembled in cocktail form.
I garnished the glass with a gooey rim of the insides of a Cadbury Creme Egg. This made the cocktail much sweeter than without. I actually preferred the version without the gooey rim. I was preferable overall especially if the cocktail is to be enjoyed with appetizers. If it is a stand alone at dessert time then the gooey rim is a must try…or do as we did, half with, half without.
The base is vanilla vodka. Added to that Godiva White Chocolate liquor and Creme de Cocoa. The magic ingredient is the Effen Salted Caramel Vodka. The depth of flavor it added transformed this from good to amazing. Finish it off with a splash of heavy cream and you have heaven in a glass. This is a potent treat…but really we are only having one…right?
- 4 oz. Vanilla Vodka
- 2 oz. White Chocolate liquor (Godiva)
- 2 oz. Creme de Cocoa
- 2 oz. Salted Caramel Vodka (I used Effen)
- Splash of Cream
- 1 large Cadbury Creme Egg (or two mini)
- Cut Cadbury Creme Egg in half. Spread gooey insides around edge of two martini glasses (if desired)
- Grate outside of chocolate egg onto a plate. Shake to distribute in a single layer and dip tops of martini glasses in shavings. Reserve leftovers.
- Mix vodka, white chocolate liquor, creme de cocoa, salted caramel vodka and splash of creme in a cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Shake until so cold you can barely hold the shaker...yes, it must be very cold!
- Strain into prepared martini glasses. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings.